Newstead had been the Byron family home since 1540 when Sir John Byron acquired it from Heny VIII. Lord Byron then sold the property in 1818 to his friend Colonel Thomas Wildman. Newstead Abbey reamained a private country house until 1931, when it was presented to the Nottingham Corporation for the public to enjoy.
This visitor attraction is a beautiful historic house set in a glorious landscape of gardens and parklands.
For futher information on Newstead Abbey and The Poet Byron please visit www.newsteadabbey.org.uk